Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Highway 99 - The Pacific Highway

The old U.S. Highway Shield insignia before it became a State Route.


I decided to begin with Hwy 99 for a couple of reasons. First because she starts, much like I do in California, where one of her many names - The Golden State Highway - comes from. Historic Route 99 is an old north-south United States highway system line that ran from Mexico to Canada and as such she has much to offer those who take the time to enjoy her history. She was decommissioned as a U.S. Highway in the early 70's and now the bits that remain are all designated as State Routes. Like too many of her sister routes she fell victim to the Interstate system - in this case Interstate 5. Which is not really a "road" at all. It is an Interstate that will get you there as fast as possible (except through Seattle. Bring a lunch and a book). The Interstate is the antithesis of an old road. But I digress. 

Down Marginal Way with the newer State Highway Head logo


In Washington she runs from Fife north to Everett as SR 99 or the Pacific Highway, and also as Aurora Avenue. These pictures were taken over the course of several trips up and down this grand old road during the six months we lived in Seattle. I figured I may as well document the road in our back yard while prepping for our next round of great highway adventures.

The approach from downtown Seattle. Note the old U.S. shield shape sign.
Wouldn't be a trip down 99 without a glimpse of the Space Needle.

 I remember bits and pieces of roads from my childhood, and one that stands out vividly is the Pink Elephant. My parents made several trips to and from Alaska over the years and my earliest memory of this is probably in 1970 on our way south. This view is headed north, but the Pink Elephant is an icon of U.S. 99 in downtown Seattle to this day.

The iconic Pink Elephant Car Wash in downtown Seattle
A bit further along in Lynnwood you will find the old Mobil Gas station, Keelers Korner built in 1927. After miles of strip mall hell it is like sorting through a pile of trash and suddenly coming across a family heirloom. You know at once this is not junk. This has a history, a story. It once had a vibrant life. This is the only truly real thing here.

Mobil Oil Station on SR 99
Much of Hwy 99 runs through the typical urban blight of strip malls, fast food joints clustered in eternal competition and vast big box home improvement stores and grocery chains. But every now and then you catch a glimpse of what was there before. You see what the family in the '58 Buick saw on their way to the beach or heading home from the drive-in. There it is; a neon encrusted drive-in burger joint.

"Pick-Quick Burgers Drive In - Since 1949"

Another piece of real treasure nearly hidden amongst all the junk. Seeing these gaudy remnants of times gone by is always bittersweet - you know it has been there for ages while at the same moment knowing that it's days are numbered. While the building gets inexorably older the real estate it sits on gets ever more valuable. Whenever I see one of these along a route I know we frequented when I was a kid I cannot help but wonder: Did we stop here? Did Mom tell Dad "Pull in there, the kids are hungry and I could do with a bite myself." I can hear her saying exactly that a thousand times over. Is this neon jewel a part of my own past? I hope it is.

The Poodle Dog in Fife, at the southern start of what's left of old Hwy 99 in WA.
Fields of Daffodils at the northerly end of old 99


Perhaps this is my fascination with these old highways. Not having a hometown to go back to, never having had a specific house I could say I grew up in, I can catch glimpses of my childhood here, along the highways we traveled and the sights we saw. It is as good a hometown as any, and in so many ways better than most. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

An old 60's era motel in Milton, WA seen as it should be - through a dark, rainy windshield



No comments:

Post a Comment